Being borderline obsessive, I knew that the moment I decided to significantly cut my carb intake would also mark the beginning of a feverish quest — to seek out then hone low-carb recipes which best mimic their high carb counterparts. It’s been a formidable challenge, not to mention a pricey endeavor, but so worth it as my energy level has skyrocketed. And today, folks, I have stumbled upon my greatest success thus far — these low-carb chocolate Madeleines. Enjoy!
Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Keto Chocolate Madeleines (With Suggested Vegan Options)
1/4 c. granulated (1 for 1) sugar substitute. I recommend Lakanto Classic Erythritol & Monkfruit Blend.
3/4 c. brown sugar substitute. I recommend Lakanto Golden
1 egg or vegan egg substitute* (such as a flax or chia egg)*
1/2 c. vanilla whey protein powder (I’ve used Biochem with great results) or vegan vanilla protein powder*
3/4 c. almond flour. I recommend Bob’s Red Mill
1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 330 F.
- Cream butter, granulated sugar substitute and brown sugar substitute.
- Blend in the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the protein powder, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix by hand until incorporated. Your mixture should now have the consistency of chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Spray a Madeleine pan with non-stick coating. Spoon the batter into the Madeleine cavities ’til they’re about 3/4 full, then use your fingers to pat them down flat. They’ll rise considerably when baking, but the initial puffiness will subside quickly while they cool.
- Bake for about 10 – 11 minutes or until the edges have browned.
- Enjoy with a hot beverage of your choice and a good book. I recommend tea and Proust. 🙂
Yield: 20 madeleines
Disclaimer: I’ve not personal tried baking this recipe using the vegan substitutes, but have had good results creating other baked goods using all of them. If you try them in this particular recipe, please report back on how it went!