I finally, finally made the leap from being a vintage pattern hoarder, to an actual vintage pattern sewer! I’ve been wanting a pair of high waisted capris, so I went through my stacks and stacks of patterns and found this:
So I made View #2, but added a cuff and button at the bottom of the legs.
They came out ok, except I found out too late that the pattern was made to fit a woman of 5 foot 7 and up (were women taller in the ’50s?) and anyone below this height would have to adjust the length of the crotch accordingly before cutting the fabric. Needless to say, I ended up with a very saggy backside which I attempted my best to fix, but as you can see, my alteration skills are lacking. Ah well. Now I know better. Overall, it was a fun project which I’ll definitely try again.
Absolutely gorgeous capris. They look so good on you.
thanks judy and jodz!
oh god, the horror! women were headless in the past!
i think the backside is the hardest thing to tackle in life, period. all woes stem from the backside. your capris look great, just do what i do and ignore what you don’t like!
jj at burdastyle posted this link for me about crotch alterations:
it proved helpful, though i still think backsides should be banned altogether.
The capris are nice – a bit like newsboy or a biker from the centuries beginning. Cute.
I noticed the headless women first as Onna pointed it! Isn’t that ironic – in the 50s women we longer but without a head…
LOL. something must be wrong with me as the drawing of the headless women never struck me as being strange, but now that you two mention it, it is a tad creepy…
thanks for the link, oona!