2008 – 2008 R.I.P.
Lest you think my sewing experiences thus far have been all positive, let me introduce you to the garment that was a thorn in my side for a week before I had to finally bid the cursed project adieu.
I hadn’t learned yet how to properly sew on elastic, so one armhole opening was bigger and less stretchy than the other. I also accidentally topstitched one armhole’s edge a different color thread from the other.
But the armholes were the least of my problems. Sure it looks alright from the front. but the back was driving me CRAZY! I messed up when seaming the back yoke to the back, so the gathers were puffing out so much that I looked like I had extra large shoulder blades (see below).
So when my brand new serger arrived at my doorstep mid-project, I thought that I would simultaneously try to learn how to use it whilst fixing the back seams of this top. Big mistake. Behold, if you can stomach it, the result of my hubris:
AAAAAAACK!!!! I have to look away.
Wow, showing this to the world really kills my ego. But, hey, the more mistakes we make, the more we learn.
Alright, so I didn’t really throw it in the bin. I saved it for scrap material.